CONVERSION OF A '91 GSXR 750 TO AN ELECTRIC VEHICLE (EV). The goal of this painfully slow process is not just a running EV Motorcycle, but a mechanical kit that will let others readily convert their own GSXR.
Monday, July 11, 2011
Assembling and Installing the New Pack
Transferring the cells from the old holders to the new Cell Frame. The rubber mallet is to disassmbled the old holders. The batteries slipped right into the new holders without forcing them.
I decided to put all the cells in parallel and apply a very gradual charge to equalize the pack. They sat connected to a 1A charger for almost a week. Voltage rose by only a couple of hundredths (3.27 to 3.30), but now I know the cells are all balanced.
Cells assembled into the frame in a 2P25S arrangement. I used a stainless threaded rod (4 places), with Allen Nuts on either end to keep the frame tight against the cells.
Time to strart making busbars. I used 1/8" x 3/4" Aluminum flat stock. Cut, scribe, punch, pilot drill, drill, chamfer, file. Repeat 40 or so times.
Getting there - lots of fasteners to install
Pack is finally assembled. Entire thing weighs in at 62.74 lbs.
It was a very tight fit to get the pack installed into the bike. But it looks awesome.