Monday, November 2, 2009

Tres Magnifique (almost)

I got the upper battery tray cut and bent, but ran into a few hiccups in the bending process

After bending the front and rear tabs, the part will no longer fit into my bending brake, so I ended up finishing the bends in a vise.  The bends forming the side tabs are not uniform and the flat area where the batteries are supposed to sit is distorted.  The good news is that this piece is functional.  I will need to make a few changes to my tooling in order to accomodate future versions. 

I've also come to the conclusion that 3/16" stock is just too thick.  On version 2.0 all pieces will be made from 1/8" material.  This will help reduce the raw material costs and will be a lot easier to work with.  It also will save a little weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment